Faith & the Common Good has delivered its signature Green Audit for the past 9 years. We are happy to announce that we have expanded our walk-through audit services to better serve faith communities and their needs. Our faith property audit program is a fee-for-service program designed to help faith groups walk more gently upon our planet while improving the mission per square foot of their respective faith properties. The links below will help you navigate this page:
- Walk-Through Green Audit
- Walk-Through Energy Audit
- Walk-Through Emergency Preparedness Audit
- Walk-Through Regeneration Audit
- Additional Resources
- Contact Information
The Green Audit is our signature comprehensive environmental and energy audit. We encourage you to invite property managers, trustees, kitchen volunteers, office staff, youth groups, tenants, and green teams to immerse themselves in a tour of your faith property where we will look at energy, air quality, food, water, transport, waste, operations, maintenance, landscaping, and anything we can think of within your faith community that can be greened. The resulting Green Audit report provides you with a personalized road map for how your congregation can walk more gently on the planet. For an additional fee, you are able to add Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)’s Energy Star’s Portfolio Manager* to the audit so that you can better track your faith building’s energy consumption. Click here for more information on our Green Audit.
Our walk-through Energy Audit will focus more specifically on steps you can take to lower energy consumption. How much energy are you consuming and how does that compare to other similar buildings?; What are your largest energy-consuming appliances? What are your most energy-consuming activities? How can you track your energy if you are not yet doing so? What are the low-hanging fruit that allow you to save the most for the least amount of investment? What renewable energy options might you consider for your property? NRCan’s Portfolio Manager* is used in this audit to help you track your energy moving forward. Water usage is also included in this, due to the energy required to move and heat it. This walk-through audit will help you understand and manage your energy in an easy-to-understand and engaging way for all involved.
This walk-through audit helps faith communities prepare for emergency events, either for yourselves to withstand better, or for serving vulnerable members of your community during disasters. A fluent understanding of your energy needs must be in place to move towards that goal (e.g. to estimate emergency power generation needs), and so Portfolio Manager* is ncluded as part of this walk-through audit. Storm water management, food, shelter, washrooms, showers, and other shelter aspects are also covered in this audit to help you look at opportunities on how you can carry out your mission work during these times of need. The Emergency Preparedness Audit also helps you assess what emergency role to consider, and the basic requirements you will need to be a local asset to your neighbourhood. By looking at the various types of emergencies, what level of engagement makes sense for your community, and pathways to reach those goals, this walk-through emergency preparedness audit will improve your resiliency and community outreach capabilities.
Developed in collaboration with the National Trust of Canada, this audit will help faith communities who may be under considerable financial or community pressure to restructure, amalgamate, etc. This walk-through audit acts as an outside set of eyes and viewpoint to ensure the best consensus decisions can be made moving forward for all involved. Bringing a triple-bottom-line sustainability perspective (environmental, social, financial), this audit will help participants evaluate issues such as building, operations, energy, historical concerns, community activity within and beyond the walls, and how to engage the community to strengthen the sustainability goals moving forward. NRCan’s Portfolio Manager* is used in this walk-through audit as a means to compare buildings in question. Discounts will apply if you would like this audit to encompass more than one faith community. By working with our team of professionals during your faith community’s time of need, we will guide you with the best unbiased information possible to help you make the best decision for the future of your community and beyond. The Regeneration Audit can be delivered by itself or as part of a comprehensive consultation with your faith community. For further details as to what is right for you, please contact us.
|What It Includes||NRCan’s Energy Star Portfolio Manager*||Report||Costs|
|Green Audit||Energy, air quality, food, water, waste, operations, maintenance, landscaping, community engagement||No||Full colour PDF report highlighting the areas of concern and the opportunities at various price points to help prioritize your plans moving forward in all aspects of the building operation||<10,000 sq. ft. – $1,250
>10,000 sq. ft. – $1,750
|Energy Audit||A deep and thorough focus on energy consumption which also includes water||Yes||Full colour PDF report highlighting the areas of concern and the opportunities at various price points to help prioritize your plans moving forward in all aspects of the building energy||<10,000 sq. ft. – $1,250
>10,000 sq. ft. – $1,750
|Emergency Preparedness Audit||A deep understanding of your energy needs and requirements during emergencies, focusing on various scenarios of emergencies and how you could engage the community||Yes||Full colour PDF report highlighting the areas of concern and the opportunities at various price points to help prioritize your plans moving forward in all aspects of the building operation during emergencies||<10,000 sq. ft. – $1,250
>10,000 sq. ft. – $1,750
|Regeneration Audit||A broad understanding of who your community is, its goals, its assets, liabilities, and how it interacts with the greater community to help you make appropriate choices specific to your needs and long term plans||Yes||Full colour PDF report highlighting the areas of concern and the opportunities at various price points to help prioritize your plans moving forward as a thriving, engaged community member||Regeneration Audit only:
<10,000 sq. ft. – $1,250
>10,000 sq. ft. – $1,750
Contact us re: additional services
Additional Pricing Details
- A discount will apply to all audits when multiple faith communities are booked simultaneously
- Additional travel costs may apply to audits where local auditing expertise is not available. Actual travel cost amounts will be determined on a case by case basis
- Using Portfolio Manager, Faith and the Common Good will create a faith community profile, add 1 year’s worth of energy data, and provide 1 hour of telephone support (upon request) for all walk-through audits that include this feature. For audits where this feature s not included, the faith community may request it for an additional $100 + HST
* Why we work with Natural Resources Canada and Energy Star Portfolio Manager
- For the first time ever, there is a standard, free, online energy benchmarking system that provides more accurate and equitable Canadian building energy data and assessments for the commercial and institutional buildings sector.
- ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager complements many existing energy benchmarking programs and routines.
- Benchmarking can be a powerful trigger to encourage investments in energy retrofits.
- The tool will produce trend data that can facilitate future program/policy development.
- One-page Green Audit overview — to present to decision-makers at your faith community to start the discussion
- Audit decision chart — Is the Green Audit right for your faith community?
- Audit comparison guide — Compare Faith & the Common Good’s offerings with others in the marketplace.
- Anglican Church of Canada Green Audit report, completed by nine parishes across Canada in 2013
- Case study of ;St. James the Apostle Church in Carp — They undertook Green Audits for all three sanctuaries in their parish, the youngest of which is 125 years old!
- Practical Guide to Improving the Energy Efficiency of your Religious Building — This easy-to-use 74-page guide is intended for decision-makers in faith communities who wish get to know how their buildings work and reduce the amount of energy they use in their buildings. It offers insights to lighting, heating and cooling systems, and concludes with a 20-page DIY energy audit. At $15, this is an inexpensive tool to start the process. Click here for ordering or download information.
If you would like more information on our portfolio of Walk-Through Audits or to book an appointment, please contact our Building Audit Manager, Stephen Collette, at 705-652-5159 or email@example.com.